Health Benefits of Bitter Leaf
1. Stomach Ache – Chew the tender stem of the plant like chewing stick and swallow the bitterness. This is a well known remedy for stomach aches. In some cases, the ache stops within a few minutes. An alternative is to pound the fresh leaves in a mortar and press out the juice. Add a pinch of salt to three tablespoons of the undiluted juice and drink. This brings immediate relief.
2. Skin Infection – For skin infections such as ringworm, itching, rashes, and eczema, the pure, undiluted extract of bitter leaf is excellent. Simply apply it to the affected part daily.
3. Good for the Liver – It tones the vital organs of the organ of the body. It weighs between 1-3kg in the adult. The liver is essential in the metabolism of fats and protein; it must be well taken care of. Once the liver has any defect, it is hard to correct. Every effort must be made to keep the liver in good condition. Alcohol, sugar, and processed food that we often feed ourselves and the children with can weaken the liver and make it susceptible to infections.
4. Diabetes – its intake will not only cut the sugar level drastically, it will also help to repair the pancreas. Squeeze ten handfuls of the fresh leaves in ten liters of water and take two glasses thrice daily for one month. This amounts to six glasses daily.
5. Insomnia – Bitter leaf extract has done wonders for those suffering from sleeplessness. Simply take two glasses of bitter leaf solution every night. You will experience great calm and well-being. You may add a little honey if you wish.
6. Pneumonia – Squeeze the fresh leaves of the plant in water. Take a glass-full thrice daily. Warm the solution on fire each time before drinking. Remember, do not boil, just warm. Continue the medication for a month. You do not need to squeeze the leaves each time you want to drink it. You can squeeze a large measure at once and add some honey. This will help keep the solution. However, note that if you store bitter leaf extract for twenty-four hours or more, the bitterness will disappear or diminish. But the efficacy remains.
7. Prostrate Cancer – Prostrate cancer is common among men who are over forty years old. Its symptom is difficult and painful urination, among others. Bitter leaf is very good for this ailment. It increases the flow of urine and reduces the pain, as well as regulates the spread of the cell. Simply squeeze the fresh leaves in water and take a glassful four times daily. Don’t be surprised if you begin to urinate very often when you take the bitter leaf extract. It’s part of the cleansing and healing process that your body needs.
8. General Weakness – Do you often feel weak and tired? Do you lack vitality and vigor? Then get up and take a walk into the bush. You don’t need to trek far before you find a bitter leaf plant. Squeeze the leaves in water and take a glass thrice daily. Soon you will experience a new lease of energy.
9. Stroke – Bitter leaf solution calms the nerves, strengthens the muscles, and cleanses the system. I have seen the marvels that bitter leaf extract has done for many people and it is good.
10. Arthritis – Arthritis or rheumatism patients who have tried bitter-leaf solution as described above attest to its effectiveness. It soothes inflamed joints and eradicates the pain.
Bitter Leaf Medicinal Uses
Bitter leaf should always be taken raw and fresh. Boiling or cooking reduces the potency of the leaf. Its bitterness must not be squeezed out before eating; otherwise what will be left is mere chaff with little or no medicinal value. Remember always that raw vegetables are bitter than cooked ones and half-cooked vegetables are better than over-cooked ones.
Parents should enforce this on the children to make them healthy the natural way. There are lots of things or ailments that need not reach the hospital before curing them if you can just make bitter leaf available in your reach.